Many Alexa users enjoy personalizing their experience with the virtual assistant, and one novel way of doing this is by changing Alexa’s voice. I’ve discovered that Amazon’s voice technology allows customization, including altering the default voice to different fun and engaging options.
You can change Alexa voice by adjusting its language settings. However, it’s important to note that a Jarvis-style voice option is unavailable. For those who were hoping to switch Alexa’s voice to that of Jarvis and are considering celebrity voice packs as an alternative, it’s necessary to mention that your choices in this regard may be limited.
Change Alexa Voice – Celebrity Voice Packs Are No Longer Available
If you’ve grown accustomed to hearing celebrity voices on your Amazon Echo, I’ve got an update that might disappoint. Amazon has discontinued its celebrity voice packs for Alexa, including well-known options like Samuel L. Jackson, Shaquille O’Neal, and Melissa McCarthy.
Why Is This Happening? Amazon hasn’t given extensive details, but as with most tech services, features come and go, often aligned with changing strategies or customer preferences.
If you have previously purchased any of these voice packs, it’s important to note that they are, regrettably, being phased out without the option of a refund.
Some of you might dream of changing Alexa’s voice to Jarvis from the Iron Man films – an AI assistant with a smooth British accent. While this specific voice isn’t an option, remember that you can customize your Alexa experience in various ways. The voice settings allow changes to the speaking rate, accent, or gender, which means you have some flexibility to make Alexa your own.
Just not in the Jarvis way, I’m afraid.
What Is The Difference Between Alexa Voices and Alexa Voice Packs?
The main difference between Alexa Voices and Alexa Voice Packs lies in the type of customization they offer and whether they come at an additional cost:
- These are the default voice options provided by Amazon for Alexa-enabled devices.
- Users can select from various languages and regional accents, such as American English, British English, Australian English, German, Japanese, etc.
- Alexa Voices are part of the standard features and do not require an additional fee.
- The choice of Alexa Voices is generally limited to the languages and dialects Amazon supports.
Alexa Voice Packs:
- A Voice Pack is an additional voice option that can be purchased to customize the Alexa experience.
- They often feature celebrity or themed voices that provide a unique twist to interactions with Alexa.
- These are premium options and usually require a one-time purchase or subscription fee.
- Examples of Alexa Voice Packs include celebrity voices like Samuel L. Jackson, which can be enabled through a specific command or setting in the Alexa app.
Ultimately, Alexa Voices offers basic customization through language and accent preferences at no extra cost. At the same time, Alexa Voice Packs provide a more personalized experience with special voices, usually for a price.
Change Alexa’s Default Voice
Many Alexa users might not realize it, but changing Alexa’s voice is quite straightforward. Here is how in a few simple steps:
- Open the Alexa app and click on the Devices tab. Sort by Device Type if you have many devices like me.
- Select the Alexa and click the device Settings icon, then Alexa’s Voice configuration.
- Select the new voice and amend the speaking rate if needed.
The change should take effect instantly, so you can test it by asking your Alexa device something.
What Alexa Voices Can I Select From?
The exact list of available voices can change as Amazon updates its services. For the most current information, you would typically check the settings in your Alexa app or ask your Alexa-enabled device about the available language to change Alexa’s voice.
If you’re interested in changing Alexa’s voice, you can say, “Alexa, change your voice,” and follow the prompts provided by your device.
Can You Change Alexa’s Name?
Currently, Amazon doesn’t provide the option to create custom wake words. However, I can guide you through changing the wake word to one of several defaults that Amazon allows.
- Open the Alexa App, go to the Devices tab, and again filter by Device Type if needed.
- Select the Alexa device and click on the Settings icon. Scroll to the Wake Word config.
- Select the new Wake Word on the selection screen.
While Amazon restricts wake word customizations and doesn’t support a Jarvis voice directly, the provided alternatives still allow for a degree of personalization. You can choose a different wake word from the preset list and delve into skills that offer a Jarvis-like interaction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to customize the Alexa wake word to any phrase or name?
While you can change Alexa’s wake word, your options are limited to a few Amazon-approved terms. I can’t customize it to any phrase or name, but I can choose from selections like “Alexa,” “Amazon,” “Echo,” “Computer,” or “Ziggy”.
What alternatives do I have for changing the Alexa accent?
I have access to several alternatives for changing Alexa’s accent. I can use the Languages config section in the Alexa app to change the device language.
Daniel Barczak is a software developer with a solid 9-year track record in the industry. Outside the office, Daniel is passionate about home automation. He dedicates his free time to tinkering with the latest smart home technologies and engaging in DIY projects that enhance and automate the functionality of living spaces, reflecting his enthusiasm and passion for smart home solutions.